No matter if you are living in Dubai or in Sharjah, there are specific factors about your living space that can be changed in order to reduce the risks of your home picking up a pest problem. Once you become aware of these risk factors, you can change them and change your habits in order to reduce the chances of a pest infestation inside your home. But for a more comprehensive and thorough review of your living space and pest risk factors, you will need to contact the services of a professional exterminator.
Most of these risk factors have to do with the accessibility of your living space to potential pests and the attraction of your living space to the same. While not all of these tips apply to all living spaces, the basic principles behind them are applicable no matter if you live in Dubai or in Jebel Ali.
Here is a list of pest risk factors that you should watch for:
- Having a garbage can left open with its lid off is a major attractor to pests, especially if the garbage in that can is mostly organic garbage. This is particularly bad if the garbage can is left in a moisture-rich location such as underneath the sink. Rodents, flies, roaches and ants are all attracted to these food sources.
- Regular inspections should be carried out to make sure that there are no gaps in the walls and piping through which pests can enter. Even small gaps can permit the entrance of pests such as ants and roaches while rodents are able to enter spaces much smaller than what you might expect given their build because of their body
- Similar to garbage cans that have been left open, food that has not been sealed and left in accessible locations will likely attract all manner of pests, particularly roaches and rodents.
- Roofs and attics that have gaps and openings will end up hosting spiders and other pests such as cotton rats that can squeeze through them; these pests will then be able to spread throughout the rest of your living space from those entrance points.
- Bodies of stagnant water are breeding pools for mosquitoes and other related nuisances that can enter through small gaps around windows and doors.
- Debris piles around your home can result in pests such as ants living in them or under them. Their proximity will make it more likely that these pests will enter and infest your home.